Saturday, May 01, 2004

Week 5 Notes

* Eddie Johnson got robbed twice in the first half of the Crew/Burn game. Once by Jon Busch (who, despite the Crew's abysmal start, is a terrific keeper), and once by the referee. Two nearly identical headers a minute apart. The first one parried brilliantly by Busch, the second deflected by Busch, hitting the underside of the crossbar and then either a) just barely going in, or, b) being handled by the Crew defender. Take your pick. Either way, Eddie got jobbed.

* Even with DirecTV DirectKick AND Yahoo! SoccerPass, there was still no way to see KC/Colorado. I only object to this in principle. I still wouldn't have watched it.

* Five weeks into the season, and amazingly, Dema Kovalenko has not yet broken Freddy Adu's leg. Yes, I know they're on the same team.

* Joe Franchino and Troy Dayak both scored this week. That, along with the Olsen Twins getting a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, convinces me that the apocalypse is surely upon us. Visit your local house of worship this week, just to be safe.

* Dipsy Selolwane scored for Chicago. I don't have an observation here. I just like typing "Dipsy Selolwane".

* There was a huge, torrential downpour during the second half of the Crew/Burn game. Frankie Hejduk's hair looked stringy and greasy. There is no connection between these two observations. I kid, I kid because I love.

* Yet another yellow card for Simo Valakari. I blame the inherently violent Finnish culture.

* Also getting a yellow this weekend was Amado Guevara. And he deserved it, too. Oh, I didn't see the play; I just think he deserved it, regardless.

* Adin Brown channeled the spirit of Bill Buckner on the Galaxy goal in the 94th minute. Yes, I know Bill Buckner is still alive.

* I lied earlier. I would have watched KC/Colorado. Hi, I'm Dave, and I'm a soccerholic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home