Saturday, July 12, 2003

The US v El Salvador Gold Cup Opener . . .

. . . is not televised!

Outrageous!

Oh sure, it's on closed circuit television, sure enough . . . thank you so much for that. I'm willing to bet good money there's not an establishment within 300 miles of here carrying this game on CCTV. Yeesh.

Which means I'll have to follow it on U.S. Soccer's Matchtracker, which is a step below listening on radio (not that the match is on radio, either, I'm sure).

I shouldn't complain, because it wasn't too long ago that the idea of seeing televised soccer at all was a pipe dream. These are the salad days for the longsuffering American soccer lover, my friends, make no mistake about it. When I was kid I craved soccer coverage even more than I do now, and there was nothing. The only time you were going to see soccer was occasionally on PBS (Mario Machado doing English First Division games, Toby Charles doing Bundesliga games . . . ahh sweet memories), or perhaps the rare NASL broadcast. Maybe highlights of the World Cup final. Maybe.

So I really shouldn't complain.

I shouldn't complain about the NATIONAL TEAM PLAYING A MAJOR REGIONAL TOURNAMENT ON HOME SOIL NOT BEING TELEVISED FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!

I shouldn't, but I will.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home