Friday, November 14, 2003

More Playoff Thoughts and Bold Predictions

Well, if you missed leg 2 of the Galaxy/Earthquake series, you missed the best game in the history of MLS.

Already ahead 2-0 on aggregate, the Galaxy got off to a quick 2-0 lead within the first 20 minutes. The Earthquakes were in a position where they had to score 4 unanswered goals just to get the game to overtime, and 5 to win. That's nothing in a basketball game, not too big a deal in a baseball game, and somewhat problematic in American football. But in Soccer? It's unheard of. Almost unthinkable. No way, San Jose, if you will.

I actually switched to the Sunday night NFL game on ESPN at this point, thinking, as did everyone except the Earthquakes and their fans, that Katie had barred the door, the die had been cast, it was all over but the shouting, and the fat lady had sung.

Then someone on BigSoccer mentioned that San Jose had scored, so I switched back. I then saw the most amazing comeback I've ever seen in any sport. They leveled the score in the last minute, and won it in overtime. Not a single trash goal either. Quality every one. You can't even really say the Galaxy folded, it was more like they got swallowed by destiny, or met the proverbial irresistible force. It was magic. I'm not a San Jose fan, but now I've got to root for them to go all the way just so that incredible win won't go to waste.

I think Fox Sports World is going to re-air the game tonight (Friday 11/14). If you didn't see it, you must. If you saw it, watch it and soak up every glorious second again.

PREDICTIONS

I only picked one of the Conference Semifinals correctly. This is not surprising. I ain't exactly Kreskin here, folks. But neither have I any shame, so here we go again.


West: San Jose/Kansas City

Destiny Beckons. 'Nuff said. San Jose goes to the Cup Final.

East: Chicago/New England

I will boldly predict the upset. New England will surprise everyone, including, probably, Mr. Kraft, and take out the Fire in a very close game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home