Saturday, May 08, 2004

Stream of Consciousness Match Report
Dallas Burn v LA Galaxy 8 May, 2004

For the first time this year, Dallas put pressure on the opposition in the first five minutes of the match. I’m not complaining, mind you, just observing.

Something you hardly ever see on the first Burn goal in the 6th minute. A goal off the short corner! Ronnie runs on to a ball played into the right side of the box by Simo Valakari, hits a square pass right across the goalmouth. Nhleko out hustles his marker, and hits it first time. Boom! Just like that, Burn 1 - Evil Galaxy 0.

This is a match up with a history for Burn fans. Many of us remember the “Thursday Night Massacre” back in 98. A sad, ugly, rainy 8-1 thrashing at the hands of the E.G.

I had made one of my pilgrimages from Oklahoma City that night, only to witness the worst beating I’ve ever seen any team take in any professional sporting event, ever. The two things that stand out from that night are Mark Dodd’s dignity (he had zero, I repeat, zero help on defense that night), and the sole Dallas goal, which was an “olimpico” by, I think, Damian. It was pretty cool, regardless. The only cool part of that awful night.

So it is a great rivalry, with some intense games in its past, especially playoff games. A Burn win is always nice, but a Burn win against the E.G. is especially sweet.

Having said that, I am happy to see Jovan Kirovski finding a home in L.A. He never quite seemed to hit his stride during his years of European vagabonding, but we all knew he could play. Also, Ned Grabavoy is getting a starting chance in L.A., which is nice because I like to see collegiate stars step up to the next level and be successful in MLS. Anybody who watched the NCAA tournament last season knows this kid has loads of talent.

Dirty Ruiz tried to poke Cory Gibbs’ eyes out with one of his patented straight arms. Nice. Ruiz can score all the goals he wants; I still wouldn’t want him on my team.

Eric Quill is quietly becoming a solid midfielder for us. He’s the kind of player you have to have to be successful. Not flashy, not a guy you’re going to notice much of the time, but he does the things that have to be done to win games. What some folks like to call the “dirty work”: winning balls, getting back quickly on defense, making the linchpin pass on transition. Kind of reminds me of Good ol’ Ted Eck, but with perhaps slightly more deftness on the ball.

I miss Ted Eck. If there’s ever a “ring of honor” at the new stadium (Uncle Lamar’s House of Whoopass is the early favorite for the name, by the way), I want Ted Eck to be in it.

Behncke ripped a beautiful bending dipping shot with his left in the 31st minute. Harman did well to make the save. Behncke is another new face that I like. But I like anyone who’s not afraid to shoot from outside. If I was a soccer coach, I’d want every player to have a go from way out at least once a match, just on general principle.

And Behncke’s a Princeton guy, too, so, you know, he’s like, smart and stuff.

Scott Garlick set a club record for most consecutive shutout minutes (362) in the 38th minute.

This will be the game where Jason Kreis makes his comeback. As I write this, in the 40th minute, I am predicting a goal from Jason before the match ends. I will not erase this sentence if I’m wrong. I promise. Really, I won’t.

Ruiz got called for making a dive in the box. Should have gotten a yellow, but I’ll take the call. In the booth for ESPN2, Eric Wynalda says, “Why not? Fall down, see what happens”

Right before halftime, Ronnie tries to chip Hartman, standing in no man’s land, from about 40 yards out. Just missed; would have been Goal of the Year material.

Bah. Kirovski in the 57th. I’m glad to see him playing well, but NOT TODAY. Kiro hit a sweet glancing header from around the spot, from Albright’s cross. Dallas 1 – Evil Galaxy 1

And then again in the 65th?!?!?! Kirovski with a brace against our beloved Burn? If it hadn’t been Kirovski, I’d have sworn I was having a 2003 flashback. He turned beautifully on the ball, right on the 18, and drilled it low and into the corner. Yikes.

Kreis lacing up the boots, ready to come on. It’s like Polly Purebread being in distress, and Underdog coming to the rescue. At least I hope.

Kreis is on. Just saying that makes me feel better. I have a good feeling about this.

Tyrone Marshall made a beautiful tackle in the box on Gbandi, but unfortunately hurt himself in doing so; going off in the 80th. I hate the Galaxy, but like most of their players, oddly enough. Besides, you never want to see anyone get hurt, ever. Even Dirty Ruiz.

Into stoppage time. My good feeling is fading. Mustn’t give up hope. Must…. keep… hope….. alive…..

I even tried the time-honored strategy of going into the kitchen, where I can’t see the TV. This almost always produces a goal.

Ugh. Dirty Ruiz scores on a breakaway. Two different games between first and second halves. I’m not sure what just happened, but it was very last-yearish. Ugh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home